How To: Upgrade a Bedside Table

Jessica's February Jumpstart Project 2009

Title: Bedside Table Upgrade
Name: Jessica
Time: 2 days
Cost: About $35.00

Jessica's February Jumpstart is all about fresh starts for old furniture. Check out how she's taken a $35 junk shop find and made it into a great addition to her bedroom with minimal investment. Click above for the pics and head below for all the instructions. Give Jessica a THUMBS UP if you find this project helpful....

Pin it button big

BEFORE

TOOLS:

  • Interior semi-gloss paint from Home Depot (Behr Rapture Blue for the exterior and Innocence for the interior)
  • Paint roller and tray
  • Paint brushes
  • New 99 cent cabinet knobs from Home Depot
  • Wood filler
  • Sand paper

Optional: Orbital sander (needed if the furniture's finish is in good condition because paint won't stick to a lot of finishes); primer

STEPS:

  1. The cabinet was originally in our den, and we used it as a (very large) end table and as a hidey-hole for our printer. I got really fed up with the size because we have a small den and our yard-sale special furniture is huge. I decided to swap the cabinet out with a smaller table and take the cabinet for my bedside table.

  2. I started this project by giving the cabinet a good scrub-down. I bought it at a junk shop for $35.00 and had never really cleaned it thoroughly, so a scrubby sponge and dustbuster did wonders to clean this baby up. I probably should have sanded it, but I'm kind of lazy about things like that, and would rather get down to painting. Luckily, the finished product turned out well without sanding.

  3. I painted the exterior with two coats of Behr Rapture Blue, and once that dried, I painted the interior in Behr Innocence (seriously the best paint color name ever). As you can see in the before pictures, one of the drawer pulls was missing, and the right cabinet door did not have a knob. Upon removing the knob on the left cabinet, I discovered that it wasn't actually a real knob, but a wooden spool that had been nailed to the front of the cabinet. Classy.

  4. I drilled holes in the doors for the new knobs, which I purchased from Home Depot, and used wood filler to fill two of the holes on the drawer. Once the wood filler dried, I sanded and painted the drawer fronts, then attached the knobs.

  5. All in all, this was a super-easy project that I'm really pleased with! I think it looks great in my bedroom, and it doubles as a linen closet for our sheets!

RESOURCES:
I love sourcing junk shops for ratty/broken furniture that can be fixed with some clean-up, a coat of paint, and some minor tinkering.

Give Jessica a THUMBS UP if you find this project helpful....

doitnow-post-header2.gif