clean and disinfect their tech (in addition to replacing their toothbrush of course). With precious laptops costing a pretty penny, no one wants to use something that will damage their machine. Of course there are fancy options out there sold in stores that will clean your machine, but in this post, we will focus on getting a clean laptop with items you probably already have around your home.
While we do admit to using Lysol disinfecting wipes when we have them around to clean the exterior of our laptop, keyboard, and trackpad, more often than not we turn to items that are always in the house. Our laptop cleaning kit is made up of:
- 70% isopropyl alcohol
- Eyeglass cleaning cloth
- DSLR air blower
- 100% cotton kitchen towel
- Toddy cleaning cloth
1) Our cleaning process begins with using the DSLR air blower to clean dust off the screen, clean the ports, and clean around the keys and the fan. We opt for using the air blower over canned air because we have seen far too many liquid damages to interior components caused by improper use of canned air and besides, who has canned air always around?
2) We then mix 2 parts water with 1 part isopropyl alcohol in a small dish. We dip a corner of the cotton kitchen towel in this solution and use it to clean all areas of the laptop save the screen. We have found this solution works equally well on the metal surfaces of the Apple MacBook Pro and the Samsung 9 Series. For the screen, we dip a corner of the eyeglass cleaning cloth into this solution and use it to wipe the screen.
3) The finishing touch is using both surfaces of the Toddy to clean the laptop starting with the screen. If needed we will also go over the laptop again with the DSLR air blower and gently turn the laptop upside down to dislodge any remaining debris. We like using the Toddy because it leaves us with a nice smudge free shine on the screen and surface. The Samsung 9 Series particularly looks stunning after some Toddy swipes thanks to the black aircraft material surface which looks best when shiny.
What do you use to clean your laptop?
For some more cleaning tips, check out these posts from our archives:
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Screen Clean & Streak Free
- Surprise, Apple Suggests Using Lysol Wipes To Clean!
- Good Questions: Cleaning My Laptop?
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)