After meeting Jenn Ski and learning about her $60 Noguchi coffee table and $25 Arco floor lamp finds from Craigslist, I was inspired to do a little Craigslist searching myself. In just a few minutes I came up with the fun, inexpensive items you see above. A few time saving tips after the jump.1. Keywords: I use a lot of general keywords to browse such as "retro" vintage" "1970s" as well as color descriptions because I am generally a fan of "pink" "gold" and "white" for example. Try to think of any words that might be in the description, rather than in the title. If there are particular materials you like, search those. For example "porcelain" "brass" "linen" "glass" or "velvet." Another option is to search for the brand or designer such as "IKEA" "Eames" or "DWR" but keep in mind that a lot of people may not know what they have. Always start with one keyword to get the broadest results and add more to narrow your results.
2. Alternate Spelling: If you are looking for a farmhouse table, search "farmhouse" and in a separate search, search "farm house." Each set will yield different results. If you search them together you will only get results in which both spellings are used.
3. Software: Download free software that can search across multiple Craigslist sites such as Free CraigsList Reader Pro 4.2.3 from CraigsPal. It stores your locations (in my case NH and Boston) and allows you to type in any combination of key words. Within the software, the results appear in the top half of the screen and as you click an item it opens in the lower half of the screen. So much time is saved not having to comb through numerous sites or click on individual links!
4. Automate: Use Google Alerts to search Cragslist for you! Type "site:boston.craigslist.org keyword" in the Search Terms box and select the option to be alerted to new content as-it-happens. In this case you want to be alerted immediately since the hot items go fast.
1. Retro Sofa and Chair $50
2. 1950's Pink Vintage Canister Set $20
3. Antique Orange Cane Chair $195 for pair
4. Pocelain Enamel Vintage Oven $300
5. Pink Velvet Vintage Sofa $300