Whether you buy 'em and break 'em or keep them stored away, only to be released on special occasions, wine glasses are a dinner party must-have. From your most raucous of parties to the classiest of occasions, check out this guide organized by wine type and price point to find the perfect glassware this holiday season.
Named after the grapes that grow in the Bordeaux region of France (most notably Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc) these glasses have a taller bowl and are designed to guide the wine to the back of the drinker's mouth.
1. Low: Viv Wine Glasses from Crate & Barrel, $2.96
2. Mid: Marquis by Waterford 'Vintage' at Overstock.com, $35/set of 4
3. High: Bordeaux Grand Cru, $125 by Riedel
Burgundy glasses have broader, bigger bowls, which allows for more aromatics to collect, while the small opening (or aperture) concentrates these aromas for the drinkers experience. Great for delicate wines like Pinot Noir.
1. Low: Fusion Wine Glass by CB2, $4.95
2. Mid: Riedel Vinum Extreme Burgundy Wine Glass, $50/set of 4 via Amazon.com
3. High: Riedel "Vinum" Burgundy Glass, $49.99/set of 2 at Macy's
Glassware with wider openings make good vessels for fuller, richer whites like an oaked Chardonnay. The larger opening helps promote oxidation, which enhances the flavors and aromas of the wine. 1. Low: SVALKA White Wine Glass, IKEA, $4.99/set of 6
2. Mid: Riedel Vinum Chablis/Chardonnay Glasses, $40/set of 2 at Amazon.com
3. High: Nachtmann Crystal Vivendi, Bed Bath & Beyond, $29.00
As an opposite, white wine glasses with smaller openings help preserve the crisp flavors of wines like Sauvignon and Verdicchio.
1. Low: Libbey Occasions, available at Bed Bath & Beyond, $9.99/set of 4
2. Mid: Spiegelau Vino Vino Wine Glass, $40.77/set of 4 at Amazon.com
3. High: Mami Collection by Alessi, $138/set of 6
Flutes are used for sparklers like Champagne and prosecco. The ultra-thin design and small mouth opening help preserve the bubbles by preventing oxidation.
1. Low: Simplicity Flute by CB2, $2.95
2. Mid: Luigi Bormioli Champagne Flutes, $40/set of 6 via Overstock.com
3. High: Riedel Ouverture Champagne, $48/set of 4 at Crystal Classics
Main Image: Shutterstock