Q: My husband and I just moved to a new apartment. Due to the layout being very different from our old place, we have lots of random mismatched pieces of furniture that are now in our large (11x14) bedroom. We've decorated the rest of the apartment with fun art, bright colors, and oriental carpets to give it a very warm and cozy feel. We are now trying to figure out what to do with our bedroom without spending a ton of money. A few things to consider:
- We've got cream wall-to-wall carpeting and cream walls, which makes the room feel very bland.
- None of the furniture has much character (lots of IKEA in lots of colors).
- Most of the furniture will need to stay, but it can be rearranged or potentially moved into a big walk in closet.
- I have a very large red, navy, and cream oriental carpet available to me that I would need to pick up in the next week if I want it. I'm just not sure it goes with the bedspread or if it would actually brighten the room. Would it clash with the grey/plum comforter?
- The wall that our bed is against is concrete, and we cannot drill anything into it. We could potentially paint it.
- The gold curtains are temporary, as they are too narrow. We will need new curtains, and I'm hoping to pick something that brightens the room without clashing with the duvet (which was a recent present, so I'm hoping not to do a full change of the bed linens).
- Any ideas for colors for an area carpet if we don't use the oriental carpet? I love Overstock, so any specific ideas for a large carpet or maybe 1-2 small area rugs by the bed?
Sent by Liz
Editor: Leave your suggestions for Liz in the comments — thanks!
• Have a question for our community? Send us yours with a photo or two attached (questions with photos get answered first).
(Image: provided by Liz)