Looking for a way to watch any movie or TV show on your multimedia powerhouse, Playstation 3? Here's a step by step, if not a bit convoluted, method of getting nearly all your standard and high definition movies on your computer to play on your big screen using your PS3 (fair warning: this isn't an easy install and click solution...not for the faint of heart)...
1. Uninstall any codec packs you have on your computer.
2. Download and install TVersity, but don't install their included codec pack.
3. Install ffdshow.
4. Install the Haali Media
5. Go to ffdshow video decoder settings. Enable Subtitles.
Make sure the following are checked:
- Accept embedded subtitles
- Accept SSA, ASS, and ASS2 subtitles (experimental)
- Decode closed captions
6. TVersity Tweaks
- General > Media Sharing Device > Playstation 3.
- Transcoder > Always Transcode
- Use 1280x720 resolution, optimize for Quality, Wired, and Minimum compression.
7. Further Tweaks
- Edit profiles.xml in install directory with Notepad.
- Search "Playstation" and look a few lines below it.
- Change the following from mpeg16 to mpeg2.
- video="video/mpeg2" photo="image/jpeg"
- onlineAudio="audio/mpeg" onlineVideo="video/mpeg2" onlinePhoto="image/jpeg"
8. Even More Tweaks
- Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall Settings/Security Settings > Exceptions Tab > Add Program > Search your TVersity directory for Mediaserver.exe
9. Last Tweak, I Promise
- Right click My Computer > Manage > Services & Applications > Services
- Find "TVersityMediaServer" and double-click to open Properties.
- Click on "Log On" tab and change the login from Local System account to an account for the computer.
- Click "Find Now" to make things quick and easy.
10. Enjoy yourself some streamed media of your choice!
Other home gaming links from Unplggd: