Photos are often the key to making sales online whether it so through Etsy or eBay. A good photo draws viewers in and also showcases the product to its best advantage. Light boxes make a huge difference in the image quality but can be pricey. In this post we show you how to create your own light box like setup and take better photos for selling items online.
Our friend and Etsy artisan Azuree shows us how to make our own lightbox like set up to take better product photos.
What You NeedEquipment [OR] Tools:
- white poster board
- product to be photographed
1. Use the white posterboard to create a box. Since Azuree's table was already white, she taped poster boards to her shelf and and chair to create the box. If you don't have a white table you might consider laying down a piece of poster board.
2. Work with your available light and adjust your camera accordingly. These images were shot a little after dinner time as the sun was starting to set, so she set her ISO to 400 and opened up her aperture to let more light in. The goal is to have a nice white background image where the product is the focus.
3. Don't be afraid to experiment when taking product shots. Try a few different angles and don't erase them until after you've seen the images on your computer!
4.Import your images and make any needed adjustments, like white balance.
5. Export in a variety of sizes. We recommend a small icon version as well as a larger version.
6.Upload to your online retailer and happy selling!
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Azuree Wiitala)