In the past, we've been known to pre-buy everything for an upcoming move. Pre-pick out and get the paint, pre-order a new piece of furniture, pre-purchase a new rug for our new space, you name it! Since we usually ended up returning half of the stuff when we finally get in the space, we've decided to change our ways when we recently moved in December. Check out how we did it after the jump.
After years of this pre-planning behavior and with help from our polar opposite boyfriend/roommate (he can wait months to pick out a paint color), we've learned a thing or two about how to take our time in our new space.
- We asked ourselves...what really is the rush? It's definitely an emotional reaction to want to feel settled in right away. The way we felt settled in without rushing to pre-fix up our home was to simply make our bed right when we moved in. We felt good, settled and at home in our new home even though boxes and stuff filled the other rooms.
- We looked for the light. We waited a few weeks to pick out paint in order to really see how the natural light filled the rooms. Happily the particular gray color we decided on creates hints of pink, yellow and plum as the sun moves through our space.
- We lived in our home for a few weeks to see how we felt in our space. Comfort + function are key for us and didn't want to waste any space. Had we prematurely bought two chairs for a new alcove area we now have, we almost certainly would not have really used them since our design layout ended up changing once we got into the space.
- We made a commitment to use all of our existing furniture. In the past we may have changed our design style when we moved, taking the opportunity to buy a new furniture piece or two. We were able to use all of our 1 bedroom furniture in our entire new 2 bedroom space.
- We kept it in check with a priority list. Since we now can enjoy hardwood floors, we needed a large rug but that sofa bed for the office/guest room can wait. (the only additional furniture piece we need). We feel better about waiting on this item and now we can save for this piece.
We honestly feel better in our space. By simply slowing down and taking time, we've created a comfy space we feel good in without breaking the bank, reusing all of our existing pieces and picking up items we needed vs. wanted right away. Plus no items needed to be returned this time - worth it!