Why do people die? Where do babies come from? What are drugs? Oy. There are some questions that children will ask that, while we know they are on the way, still leave us with our mouths hanging open. The truly tough issues come later on (we hope) but we think it's a good idea to read up on them now. We stumbled across the site, Talking With Kids, and love all the practical advice it gives adults on how to broach a variety of nail-biting subjects...
The site deals with five main topics: sex, HIV and AIDS, violence, drugs and alcohol and also gives parents tips for how to discuss these topics such as...
1. Start early.
2. Initiate conversations with your child.
3. ...Even about sex and sexuality.
4. Create an open environment.
5. Communicate your own values.
6. Listen to your child.
7. Try to be honest.
8. Be patient.
9. Use everyday opportunities to Talk.
10. Talk about it again. And, again.
The advice is practical, useful and we're certain to bookmark this page for future reference.
To read more, visit the Talking With Kids Web site.