From the day we got the keys, my husband and I have been working furiously days, nights, and weekends on our 1919 home in Seattle. Eleven months later, we have finished our DIY renovating and are now in a place where most of the big stuff is done and we can sit back and finally enjoy our house as a home and not a job site.
Are we 100 percent finished forever? No, absolutely not. There will always be things to keep improving inside, and then we will eventually move to the landscaping and shed renovation.
Up until a few weeks ago we had been working from rise to fall on the weekends and till 2-3 am after work on weekdays. It was a little insane. But we pulled it off and will now repress the whole thing and enjoy our home. We are expecting our first child in July, and really wanted to finish everything a few months before so I could relax and so we can fully enjoy our last moments of freedom before our lives change dramatically. We knew that once the baby got here, working on the house to the degree we needed to would be infinitely more difficult, so we busted our hides to make it happen beforehand.
Since we have come out on the other side, we have been treating ourselves every chance we get. Now these treats may not seem all that elaborate, but it's what we have missed and what makes us happy.
Here are some of the treats we have enjoyed so far:
- Mid-day picnics in the park.
- An impromptu weekend getaway.
- A luxurious night time bath.
- Actually making dinner and playing games after work.
- Going to a movie on the weekend.
- Neighborhood walks after work.
- Not going to Home Depot three times a day.
- Barbecuing on the weekend.
- Playing hooky and going to the beach with lunch and a book.
- Waking up slowly and sitting on the porch with a cup of tea.
- Surprise date nights.
- Quick day trips.
- Weekend naps in the middle of the day.
- Having dinner parties and game nights.
- Being able to say 'yes' to people again.
- Trying out new restaurants once a week.
- Taking advantage of Happy Hour.
- Seeing lots of live music.
- Catching up on shows we've missed.
- And last but not least, doing nothing!
(Image: Smith Schwartz / Relaxing on the Road: Best Balconies)