Anjali of LA-based Giant Jeans Parlor sent us these helpful how-to instructions showing how to remove the characteristic thrift store bouquet that often accompanies a purchase, using two St. Vincent De Paul Warehouse armless chairs as examples...
First, Anjali recommends spot checking your upholstery (even though she didn't since her purchases were just $20 in value). The she goes onto describe the process as such:
- Once you're ready to go, mix 1/4 cup laundry detergent with about 2 cups of water in a large non-plastic bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the mixture on low until the bowl is full of dry, fluffy foam.
- Lift the foam from the bowl with a metal spoon (plastic or wood will absorb the detergent scent) and apply to the upholstery.
- Rub the foam in gently with a clean rag. Repeat over the entire furniture piece, rewhipping the detergent mixture to get more foam as needed.
- Empty the bowl and fill it with clean water. Dip a clean rag in the water, squeeze it out and rub it gently over the upholstery to remove the remaining dirt and detergent.
- Repeat, refilling the bowl with fresh water as needed. Let the upholstery dry.
Thanks Anjali for sharing your tip!