Messy wrapping is cute (if you let your five-year-old do it). Don't let your sloppy package send the wrong message this season. Make the outside just as thoughtful as the inside by following our step-by-step tutorial on how to properly wrap a present.
Follow our guide, and your gifts will look like this in no time.
1. Start by measuring the paper to fit your package. Place the package far enough from the cut end of the roll so that when its brought up over the top it will cover the top of the package completely. If your wrapping paper keeps rolling up on you, weight it down with an extra pair of scissors, a few rolls of ribbon —use whatever you've got!
2. Bring the cut end of the paper over the top of the package, secure in place with a piece of tape over the corner.
3. Bring the rolled end across the package, overlapping the taped piece and cut.
4. For a really nice straight line, fold the cut end in approximately 1 inch. Press firmly for a nice crease.
5. Secure with tape. You can use invisible tape, packaging tape, or double sided tape if you want a really clean look. I planned to glam up my package with a bow, so I wasn't too worried about tape showing.
6. Trim off any excess paper. If you aren't sure where to make the cut, loosely fold the paper from the top down to the side of the end of the package, make a small mark with your fingernail or a pen where it touches the table. Use this as a guide to trim the excess paper. After the excess is cut away, fold the paper down again in the same way, making creases along the top side of the package, and the outer sides.
7. Fold in the points from the outer sides of the package to the middle. Press all folds firmly to make nice straight lines.
8. Finish by folding in the tip of the point up (or leave it pointed -it's your call!) and bringing up the last side of the wrapping paper. Secure to the side of the package with tape.
After things are all taped up I like to go back through and crease all the lines along the sides of the package, it just seems to give it a really nice finished look.