DIY Starburst Mirror
About 3-4 hours
Who would have guessed the automotive parts shop would be a great DIY home decor resource? Allison's Starburst Mirror project takes a simple $2.99 auto blind spot mirror and makes it into something for the home...something beautiful. Click above for the pics and head below for all the instructions. Give Allison a THUMBS UP if you find this project helpful....
- 1 convex mirror (sold at automotive stores as a blind-spot mirror)
- 1 cardboard disc the same size as the convex mirror (about 1/2" thick). A wooden disc could work as well.
- 12" dowel rods
- 12" skewers
- Permanent marker
- Mounting hardware
- Silver-leaf water-based gold-leaf
- Sizing brushes
- Hot glue
- Round mosaic mirrors in 3 sizes (100 mirrors in total)
- First, the plastic around the convex mirror had to be removed. It was held in place with glue but was able to be removed with steam.
- Next, I found the center of the cardboard disc and used a permanent marker to divide the disc into 16 equal segments with a ruler (like a pizza).
- Then I hot-glued the dowel rods directly on the lines so the dowels would be evenly spaced and radiate out from the disc. I then added a wooden skewer in between the dowels for variety.
- After everything was glued in place, I brushed on a water-based gold-leaf sizing and let it sit until tacky (about 30 minutes).
- After it was tacky, I took 1 sheet of silver leaf at a time and began to cover the dowels, skewers and center with it. I used a brush to adhere the silver leaf to the sizing and brushed away any excess.
- After everything was silver leafed, I used hot glue to adhere the convex mirror on top of the smooth side of the center disc. (The dowels were glued to the back).
- I then randomly hot glued the small round mirrors to the skewers and dowels (approx. 3 mirrors per "arm").
- Mounting hardware was then hot glued to the finished mirror.
RESOURCES: An automotive parts store was my best source for this project. I found a convex mirror for $2.99!
Give Allison a THUMBS UP if you find this project helpful....