If you live in the city, you can probably count at least 10 universities nearby, ranging from big state schools to small technical colleges. But you know what they all have in common? They're filled with plenty of gently-used computers and tech accessories.
Every so often, usually when a school is given a technology endowment or a big donation, those labs full of 2- to 5-year-old machines are emptied out to bring in a slew of brand new tech gear. And guess what happens to the old computers? They're sold off at a huge discount.
Some technology sales are only open to employees of the university, while others are free-for-alls you can definitely get in on. The way to find out is to call a local school (you'll usually want to ring up the IT department) and ask if and when they sell off their old gear.
To get a good shot at buying a used Mac for cheap, try finding a school that teaches graphic design or film editing. They'll have labs full of upgraded desktop Macs that are ripe for the picking.
MORE WAYS TO SNAG DEALS:
- 5 Ways to Save Money on Your Next Apple Store Purchase
- The Secrets to Becoming a Money Saving Tech-pert
- 10 Safety Devices that Can Discount Your Insurance
- Plan Ahead & Save While Traveling With Online Discounts
- Getting Student Discounts When You're Not A Student