The Korean studio Design Hara seems to share our dreams of a post-geek world of computers that subscribe less to specs worship and more towards a thoughtful merger of attractive industrial design and smaller form factors. They're back with an upgraded green PC, alongside a brand new svelte and compact design perfect for the living room...
Both Design Hara PC concepts, a slim line home theater PC and slightly larger chassis, sport handcrafted cases made from either cypress wood from Italy or rose wood from Canada, alongside other finer tactile finishes like sheep's leather gracing the side panels.
Each machine is designed specifically to be easily disassembled for easy recycling, while power consumption is rated at just 60 watts for the mini tower (about 30% of energy compared with traditional desktop PC), perfectly suited to be included amongst our recent eco-friendly PC roundup. Design Hara has also recently upgraded the specs from the initial Intel Core2Duo processor to the more powerful Intel Sandy Bridge i3 and i5 chips since we last reported about these stylish PCs, also doubling the internal hard drive to 2 terabytes to keep them up to date with the competition.
The Slim PC model is powered by an Intel Atom Dual Core D525, with 4GB of RAM, comes with Windows 7 installed, with 500GB of storage capacity. There's no optical drive, but the HDMI and optical output support, alongside the integrated iPhone dock, makes for an ideal media streaming device. If you've got a friend in Korea, you can purchase one for between $630 and $945; ask them to throw in one of the matching all wood exterior keyboards while you're at it. You may not have the fastest, most powerful PC, but you'd arguably have the most tasteful looking machine.
Slim PC Specifications
- CPU Intel CPU on Board
- Integrated Dual-core Intel Atom processor D525
- Chipset Intel(R) NM10 Express Chipset
- NVIDIA® GT218-ION 512MB VRAM on boardMemory2 x SO-DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 667MHz Memory
- Single Channel memory architecture
- Expansion Slots2 x Mini PCIe
- Storage Intel(R) NM10 Express Chipset built-in
- 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
- LAN Realtek(R) RTL8111D Gigabit LAN controller
- Audio ALC662 High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports Optical S/PDIF out ports on rear
- Blu-ray support
- USB6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 2 ports at back panel)
- Back Panel I/O Ports2 x USB 2.0/1.1
- 1 x Optical S/PDIF-out port
- 1 x LAN(RJ45) port
- 1 x HDMI port
- 1 x D-Sub
- 1 x DC-in power port
- 1 x 2 jack audio interface
- Internal I/O connector2 x USB connectors support additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
- 2 x SATA connectors
- 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
- Six channel DAC supports 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 5.1 channel audio solution
- Two stereo ADC support 16/20-bit PCM format
- All DAC support independent 44.1k/48k/96kHz sample rate
- All ADC support independent 44.1k/48k/96kHz sample rate
- Supports 44.1k/48k/96kHz S/PDIF output