Confession time... I'm obsessed with the DIY network. Yard Crashers, Kitchen Crashers — I watch it all. And I can't help but dream about what it would be like to have Josh Temple come home with me (to redo a room, gutter-heads). But the Crasher shows and their TV ilk all focus on the same thing: the complete makeover of a single room in the home. So while we're in dreamland — what one room in your own home do you most want to re-do?
For me, it's the living room. Only because it's the biggest room and it's where we spend the most time. Having a professional whisk us out of the apartment and decorate it perfectly to suit our tastes would totally invigorate our home life (and probably inspire me to shape up the rest of the place to match).
But the answers to this question are as varied as you would expect. Real Simple recently asked this question of its readers in an online poll, and while many people chimed in with wishes to re-do the living room and bedroom, there's at least a vote for every possible space in the house.
So how would you pick what one room you most want to renovate or redecorate? There are several solid strategies:
- The most-used room: It gets the most action, so give it the most attention.
- The room you can't figure out what to do with: Awkward layout? Hideous floor? That's where you need some professional help.
- The biggest room: More bang for the buck.
- The room you've been neglecting: You've put off decorating it for whatever reason, and it's time to shape it up.
- The room you did wrong: You've grown to hate your countertops, or the sofa you picked out, or the way you tiled the fireplace, and now you'd like to start from scratch again.
In the end, it all comes down to what you want. So take a trip to fantasyland and tell us: if you could redo one room in your home, which would it be?
(Image credits: Nicole Crowder)