This little exercise is part game, part advice column. We run through the same question over and over with several different dollar amounts in the hot seat, with the goal of figuring out what is the best investment you can make for your home with that sum of cash–anywhere from $5 to $100. The lesson, of course, is that it doesn't take a lot of dough to make a really happy home.
I'm going to kick it off with my suggestions at each of the price points, but this is an opportunity for everyone to chime in with what they think is the best way to spend $5, $10, $20 or more on your home.
If you have $5 to spend on your home, try...
- A small bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Some colored tape you can use to hide myriad sins.
- Spritzing some lovely scented room spray.
If you have $10 to spend on your home, try...
- Lighting a nice-smelling candle everyday when you come home.
- A tension rod, used in an unexpected way.
- Downloading a hot new album and having a cleaning-slash-jam session.
If you have $20 to spend on your home, try...
- A new throw pillow.
- A compartmented organizer for the junk drawer.
- Bringing in an easy-to-care-for houseplant.
If you have $50 to spend on your home, try...
- Changing out drawer pulls in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Rent a carpet cleaner for the day and deep clean your floors.
- Painting a room in a new color.
If you have $100 to spend on your home, try...
How would you spend $5 for your home right now? How about $10? $20? $50? $100? Let's hear it in the comments.