One of IKEA's most easily recognizable pieces, the POÄNG chair celebrates its 40th anniversary today. Here are some fun facts about the iconic design:
1. It wasn't always called POÄNG.
The chair was originally named POEM, but was changed in 1992 to note the changes and improvements made to the design.
2. More than 30 million POÄNGs have been sold since 1976.
If they were all lined up side by side, they'd stretch around half the Earth's circumference. Currently, 1.5 million are sold each year.
3. It's an "armchair for life."
Japanese IKEA designer Noboru Nakamura was tasked to create an "armchair for life," and the POÄNG was born.
4. The current iteration of POÄNG is available in four frame styles and sixteen covers.
There are rocking chair and children's versions.
5. IKEA released a 40th birthday version available as of today.
The limited edition frame more closely resembles the original. It comes with one of six covers and starts at $129.
Check out an interview with POÄNG's designer: