It's only a month until Memorial Day, when summer unofficially begins and dinner parties move outside onto patios, decks, and backyard gardens. We can't wait for those warm nights, so we're getting a head start on the season by rounding up a few ideas for modern outdoor lighting. These lamps are sleek enough to be used indoors until it's time to break out the grill.
- Candela Lights from Vessel: These battery-operated lights come with a sleek "charging platter" disguised as a modern tray. Built with LED lights, a fully charged candela is advertised to last 8 hours. Prices range from $40 for a set of 2 to $130 for a set of 8.
- Sunjar at A+R: Designed by Tobias Wong, the $42 Sunjar absorbs light during the day, then glows at night. If you're up for a DIY project, Instructables can tell you how to make one.
- Lau Portable Lamp at Design Within Reach: This is a rechargable lamp with a handle that makes it easy to move between your home and garden. It's pricey at $198, but it comes with a dimmable dial—an uncommon detail in a battery-operated lamp.
- Plis Outdoor Floor Lamp at Y Lighting: It looks like an oversized floor lamp, but it's built to be used outdoors. Made from a lacquer-coated base and a polyethylene shade, the Plis is a waterproof design that's unique and expensive, clocking in at $2,400.
- Soji Modern Lanterns at Allsop Home & Garden: These $40 hanging lanterns are solar powered—they collect light during the day and illuminate the garden at night. The sculptural folded shade is similar to the Le Klint Pendant Lamp, a 1970s Danish design by architect Poul Christiansen.
• Outdoor Lighting Inspiration: Use Lots of Jars
• Inspirational Outdoor Lights
• Outdoor Lanterns and Lights