Name: Keith and Brent Location: Jersey City, New Jersey Size: 550 square feet studio Favorite Element: Kitchen counter >> See Slideshow
Keith and Brent aren't afraid to go the extra mile to build a real home. They decided to take on the challenge of a mildly renovated condo in an historic building in Jersey City. When looking for a place to live, they realized that Jersey City was cheaper and closer to their jobs in Manhattan, than Brooklyn. They were looking for an old place, so the fact that it's an 1888 structure with some quirks sealed the deal.
Tim and Larry, artists who make their money doing custom cabinetry, would make this arduous process slightly less arduous. When it came to lessons learned, Keith says, "we expected the walls to all have studs at regular intervals, but they didn't, and everything we thought would be quick and easy never was." Keith and Brent made it through the trying moments and emerged from the other side with flying colors! Resources: • 2nd Hand Rose (Tribeca): vintage wall paper and linoleum
• Ebay: for rugs and knick-knacks
• Chelsea Flea Market: antique chairs
• Room & Board: Sofa and Chair in Living Room
• Schoolhouse Electric Co.: lights
• Jae Jarrells Vintage Menswear and Collectibles (Tribeca): little antique folding table.
• Classifieds on Apartmenttherapy.com: green enamel vintage 60's filing cabinets used as a desk in the bedroom.
Originally Posted May 31st, 2006
Do you have an idea for a house tour? Let me know! email@example.com
For all House Tours, click here!