We quizzed the talented florist duo Emerson and Benjamin behind Ampersand SF on choosing, arranging and preserving flowers at home. Here are their best tips (simple is often better and greenery is not to be avoided):
1. What is the best way to stretch your budget?
Greenery is always an affordable way to make a bouquet extra lush, minimalistic, and fairly long lasting.
2. What’s the easiest way to create a high impact arrangement?
The adage of "less is more" is often correct, and focus on color harmony for a well thought out arrangement.
3. What should you look for when buying flowers?
Healthy, slightly budded, and check out the stems. If the stems are browning, then the flower probably doesn't have a long life ahead.
4. What's the best way to make an arrangement last?
Change the water every day and keep it away from heat and direct sunlight.
5. What’s your best piece of advice for our readers?
Keep flowers in your home. Get your hands dirty and create something that you are proud of. Explore your nearest park or preservation space and be inspired by nature.