What does being organized have to do with being green? As we can attest from personal experience...plenty. Getting organized can help you take steps towards a more sustainable life, and we've got a roundup of some of our best tips to get you started...
When you're disorganized you:
- don't know how many magazines you get, or even which ones. Solution: the next time you receive one in the mail, call the subscriber and cancel it. Read it on Zinio instead.
- forgot to fill in your check register and bounced a check so not only are you overdrawn but the bank charged you for it. Solution: bank online or go one step further and sign up at Mint and keep your financial life, from investment accounts to the value of your car, in one place.
- can't remember if you have something, whether it's a certain piece of kitchen equipment, a pair of brown pants or dish soap, so you go out and buy a new one.
- don't have time to turn everything off before you leave the house; you often leave your computer on. Solution: plug everything into a power strip. You'll cut down on the amount of stuff you have to turn off.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Benita's projects for an organized home from Chez Larsson
- How to organize more efficently
- How to organize a dresser
- How to organize your closet
- Organize underneath your vanity
- How to manage and file paperwork
- How to store and organize plastic food containers
- 10 different ways to organize an entryway
- 10 ideas to help you organize the kitchen cupboards
- How to organize a bulletin board
[image from Shawn and Amy's Laurel Canyon Retreat]