This past weekend we caught up on our Tivo'd Top Design episodes. We are super happy that Todd Oldham is back for season two and find his presence quite comforting knowing that the judges harsh criticism is just around the bend. While Todd isn't handing out pink slips to contestants anymore we thought we'd share some of his design tips for decorating on a budget. We spotted these tips when researching online and because our budget doesn't allow for every design whim that comes our way we found them quite inspiring and useful.
- Use strips of wood-grain contact paper to create a lampshade which “casts a lovely, flattering light on you and your guests.”
- Enlarge a 1970's photo mural for an instant window in a dark room. You could try a snowy Alps and/or a lake, but Oldham also finds a blown-up image of the stars at night nifty.
- Change the look of a room dramatically by placing carpeting on the diagonal. This way, “corporate carpet tile gets a downright homey angle,” he says.
- Recycle a duvet for a “Pet Lounge,” a cushion for your favorite canine or feline.
- Utilize a silverware tray to organize makeup, jewelry and other baubles. Line the tray to give it a Mondrian effect.