From the outside, quintessential Nantucket is just as you would picture it, all gray shingles, vibrant blue hydrangeas and cobblestone roads (the shingles are mandatory as the entire island is considered a historic landmark). The interiors, however, are a little more diverse.
While (most) are stodgily traditional, they are influenced by blend of maritime traditions and a relaxed costal lifestyle coupled with classic New England prep. The result is finely crafted, understated wood furniture often made of reclaimed wood and an abundance of antiques, alongside classic preppy stripes, monograms and vibrant color.
1. This print of vintage nautical signal flags adds strong color and is the perfect way to welcome guests into your cottage by the sea. Available on Etsy for $32.
2. Adirondack chairs adorn nearly every front porch; this one is a classic shape in natural wood. Available through Amazon for $140
3. This lamp looks the part of a nautical antique with its brass and glass base but still feels contemporary. Available at Anthropologie for $328.
4. This driftwood bowl brings in a natural, costal element with a beautiful sculptural form. Available at Williams Sonoma for $88.
5. Made by the same company that created "Sea Bags" of recycled sails, this durable cushion brings in classic preppy stripes in a nautical navy blue. Available from Sea Bags for $130.
6. Nantucket baskets are a well-known product of the region and are displayed with pride. This vintage find is available on Etsy for $48.
7. Crisp bedding in classic stripes says relaxed luxury. Available at West Elm for $19 - $89.
8. Glass floats look like they were scavenged from the beach. Available from Redefine Home for $32.
Images: As linked above.