While the usual glossies like Elle Decor, Marie Claire Maison and Dwell provide an obvious and steady diet of design inspiration, Sunset is our favorite undercover source for regional eye-candy that speaks to our Northwestern heart. These kitchens — small, open, modern but not bleeding edge, not just utilitarian but also used — represent some of the best of this modest style.
• 1 Perhaps not done on purpose, we nevertheless love how the strip of color from the building beyond the window works with the colors inside the kitchen, and the design on the backsplash tile.
• 2 The basket pendant lamps are a touch that keeps this more sleek kitchen from feeling sterile.
• 3 We're so light-starved most of the year that it's hard to imagine covering up a window like this, but it has the upside of framing pretty details with light, like a lightbox display.
• 4 Artwork keeps and standard-issue condo kitchen feeling warm and personal.
• 5 Check out those black counters! This is also a great view of open shelving.
See more kitchens in Sunset here.
Images: Thomas J. Story (1 and 3), E. Spencer Toy (2), John Granen (4) and Art Gray (5)