Looking for ways to make your home feel a little cozier this winter? Ski lodges, British country retreats, and Alpine resorts are a natural starting point in the search for new ideas.
- Ilse Crawford's Olde Bell Inn in Great Britain: A renovated Tudor barn combines classic details (like the gray wing chair and Brown Betty Teapot) with modern touches (like the wall sconces).
- Peter Silling's Cambrian in Adelboden: A sophisticated Swiss ski resort gets a lift from its gorgeous mountain backdrop. For a similar look at home, try a mountain wall mural.
- Andrea Fogli's Excelsior Resort and Spa in Pesaro: Classical and clean-lined, Fogli's white and gray interiors have just a little bit of bite.
- Claesson Koivisto Rune's Norbis Hotel in Stockholm: Neutral tones and natural materials contribute to an aesthetic that's meant to be lasting, not flashy.
- Jean-Philippe Nuel's Hotel Le Grand Balcon in Toulouse: This French designer's rooms look like ethereal winter dreamscapes and remind one that lavender is an unexpected but cool choice for winter decor.
- Kit Kemp's Charlotte Street Hotel in London: The "English Eccentric" aesthetic feels particularly homey in blue and white.
- Kelly Wearstler's Viceroy Snowmass in Colorado: This glam 'ski resort on steroids' incorporates lots of antler lighting.
- Arne Jacobsen's Radisson Royal Hotel in Copenhagen: One of modernism's master designers combined icy blue and wengé wood in this famous hotel room.
- Le Lodge Park Hotel in Megeve: Plaid wallpaper and rustic style are surprisingly classy in a French ski lodge.
- United Designers' Dolder Grand Hotel in Zurich: Clean lines, lots of wood, sheer curtains, and a gorgeous mod fireplace make a memorable lounge area in the Dolder.
Photos: The Olde Belle Inn, The Cambrian, Andrea Fogli Studio, Norbis Hotel Press Photos, Hotel le Grand Balcon, Firmdale Hotels, Viceroy Snowmass | Interior Design, Vincent Leroux via Desire to Inspire, Le Lodge Park Hotel, The Dolder Grand Hotel