One of my favorite features in a house is a window seat. It seems like the perfect place to read, sip some hot tea, or just watch the world go by. I always figured you had to be lucky enough to find a place that came with a window seat, but I found a few sites that offer how-to guides for installing your own. This type of project could work to maximize the otherwise dead space underneath a large window. I also love that window seats allow you to read or work by natural light and can work double-duty as attractive storage benches.
- HGTV offers a tutorial on building and installing window seats using built-in cabinets.
- This Old House provides detailed instructions for building a custom window seat out of kitchen cabinets.
- Perfectly Imperfect shows a really nice example of a DIY window seat project that achieves a beautiful result.
- HouseLogic gives a breakdown of window seat options and how they work in various room types, as well as some useful installation tips.
• Window Seating for Small Spaces