Where do you invest your money and time when designing a home? What items should you allow yourself to indulge in? They're questions only you can answer, but the advice given in these beautiful recent house tours might help steer you in the right direction.
Be true to you
"Be true to your own style in your home and have fun. Invest in some timeless classics that you will never tire of. I would also say that the right textiles really bring warmth into a space. But I would say that!"
Buy what you love no matter whether you rent or own
"Besides sitting on a couch first… if you are renting, just because you are renting doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy things that you love. If you love it, you will find a way to make it work in the next place."
— From Erin & Jeff's Texas Cool
Picking stuff you love will make you look good in your house
"Pick colors you like and surround yourself with things that make you happy. Don’t be afraid of spray paint or furniture that looks “loved.” Dig around in that junk shop/old barn/estate sale. Suburban estate or garage sales are untapped gold mines! Pick colors that look good on YOU so that you will look good in your house."
— From Kelly's Luminous Tree House
Find more great advice to steal for your home in all of our excellent tours:
- Cull, Curate & Create: Advice on Handling the "Stuff" in a Home
- How to Express Your History, Draw People In & More Home Advice
- Advice for Creating Your Home's Story
- Take Your Time: Advice for Creating a Comfy Space That Feels Like Home
- Keep It Simple, Be Patient: Advice For Creating a Warm & Livable Home
- Don't Rush & Don't Settle: Advice on Finding What You Love
- Explore Possibilities! Advice on Taking Risks With Your Home's Design
- Don't Worry About Others: Advice on Creating a Home That Works For You
- Advice for Creating a Home That Reflects Your Personality
- Start With Good Lighting and More Advice On Filling a Home
- Get Out of Your Comfort Zone (And More Advice on Design Risks)