Organizing apps on an iOS device can be a real pain. Ensuring that it is done properly can also be a serious time investment. If you are restoring or moving to a new iPhone you can carry over your old app organization by following the steps below.
Macworld noticed that when they were restoring iOS on a phone that they information they had backedup always appeared when they resynced their phone. But, the rest of their app organization information did not reappear. Thankfully due to the persistence of the original author we now have a solution for this irritating problem.
- Back up and sync your device (if you are moving to a new one) or skip this step if you need to restore a cranky device.
- Choose the most recent backup of your device and follow along the dialogues in iTunes.
- Finish the restore process and revel in the disarray that iTunes has imparted upon your previously nicely arranged applications.
- We suggest letting iTunes then fully sync all of your media and other info to your iOS device and get it all in order, that could take a while.
- Right click the device in the iTunes device management on the left side and choose restore from backup. Then select the same restore image you choose before and force your computer to resync to your iOS device.
- Wait for the sync to finish and there you have it, your beautiful organization job back on your iOS device!