Irving Diaz-Burg &
Timothy A. Day (and Matias, their Wheaten Terrier)
Location: Union Sqaure; New York, New York
Size: 850 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years; rented
While they now live upstate, Irving and Timothy were kind enough to share images of their previous home in Downtown New York, overlooking Union Square. In this soothing space high above the hustle and bustle of one of the busier parts of the city, the couple and their pup Matias enjoyed an enviably bright and well decorated home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I love minimalist, functional, yet luxurious furniture that is inspired by architecture, which I feel brings a feeling of warmth and beauty to contemporary living.
Inspiration: I have a background in art history, and love architecture and design. I like collecting small artifacts and vintage pieces that I can incorporate with my modern way of living.
Favorite Element: I believe that evoking nature— through the use of natural colors and materials— is a key part of luxury living; that contemporary design can exude the warmth of handcrafting and maintain the exceptional quality of luxury.
Biggest Challenge: Tim and I love to entertain and we wanted a different kind of domestic experience... One where the architecture conveyed an open and artful living space that invited entertaining. We love austere lines because they convey a sense of continuity with the urban reality. We accomplish this with meticulously designed furniture and art selections that are curated to articulate the space in concert.
What Friends Say: I love how Irving combines colors and textures here giving a masculine yet warm feeling to the glassed-in space.
Biggest Embarrassment: Say what? Or Says who?
Proudest DIY: My custom antique demijohn carboy mold blown glass wine bottle floor lamp in emerald green I designed. Circa 1800's/1900. It is both sculptural and functional in the home.
Dream Sources: I have been working with Suite New York sinced it opened in 2006. Suite New York is a brilliant space. Kris Fuchs & Maria Sepulveda through their combined expertise, they created a space that is meticulously ....undoubtedly genius.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Benjamin Moore - White Diamond
- Floors - White Oak
- Antique Silver-Leaf Faux-Bamboo Mirror - 1stdibs
- All Art Curated by Yuri Psinakis
- Oly Three "Jonathan" Nesting Tables- set of three tables withsimple metal frames topped with reverse beveled antique mirrors. Base in antiqued silver. - 1stdibs
- B&B Italia Charles Sofa in Cashmere / Wool blend
- Marlo Lorenz Mongolian Wool ThrowPoul Kjaerholm- PK63A Coffee Table – Flint Rolled Marble - Suite New York
- Orange Uni Cabinet w/ 2 Doors by Piero Lissoni 2000 - Cappellini• Arco Floor Lamp design by Achille & Pier Giacomo Castiglioni - Flos New York• Monroe Handtufted Rug in Wool/Linnen/Lurex/Polyester - Kasthall USA Inc
- Bassam Fellows- CB-331 Plank Table, Solid Ash/Oil Finish, Oxidized Brass Triangular Frame - Suite New York• Bassam Fellows- CB-25 Mantis Side Chair, Solid Walnut (special order as we were the first ones to order them in Walnut) - Suite New York• Bassam Fellows- CB-39 Slat Bench Custom, Solid Walnut, Full Cushion in Leather. (Bench was a custom order and design by Bassam Fellows for us) - Suite New York• Bassam Fellows- CB-383 Tambour Wall Mount Credenza, Solid Ash• Alcyone Lighting by Sand Studios• All Art Curated by Yuri Psinakis• Hans J. Wegner- CH24 Pink Wishbone Chair Color released in 2010(In 2010 Suite New York Created The Pink Wishbone Project to benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Twenty female interior designers were charged with customizing Hans Wegner’s classic Wishbone chair in bright pink- the signature of the cause. For about 3 weeks, the creations were auctioned off on www.charitybuzz.com with proceeds supporting breast cancer research. We bet on two and won)• Hand Blown Mid-Century Set of 3 Glass Candle Sticks (on dining room credenza) - Artifacts 20th Century• Paul Smith for Stelton Black Statement Bar Set, Limited Edition for 2010 on dining room credenza• Hermes Self -Balancing Weighted Pen on credenza on dining room credenza• Dinnerware Heath Ceramics “Coupe” Line• Glassware - ABC Home
- Bassam Fellows- CB-22 Tractor Counter Stool. Solid Garapa Gold(we own 4 of 5, as they never went into production because of high cost and Bassam Fellows offered them to us. They kept the other one)BassamFellows, Inc.• Alcyone Lighting by Sand Studios• Art on wall next to fridge: Mel Prest “Sands” 2004 - Oil on wood panel (white on white horizontal stripes)
- Sentry Solid Walnut Wall Boxes with Drawers - Gilt• Custom Solid Walnut TV Console designed by Sand Studios andfabricated by Flying Chameleon Design & Fabrication Workshop Inc.• Ercolano Lacquered Jewerly Box - Barneys• Art over Credenza: Jesse Goff “Sierras” 2008Epson Ultrachrome Print on Plexiglass - www.yuripsinakis.com• Art on Credenza: Yuri Psinakis “Mystery Creates Wonder” 2009Polaroids - www.yuripsinakis.com• Brazo LED Desk Lamp (on night table) - Pablo Designs• Hans J. Wegner- CH24 Pink Wishbone Chair Color released in 2010 - Suite New York• Min Bed w/ Plexi Headboard- Queen - DWR• Matteo Bedding Collection• Vinatge Clock (on one of the sentry walnut boxes next to bed) - www.yuripsinakis.com• Bang & Olufsen Beo Time Alarm Clock (one one of the sentry walnut boxes next to bed)• Megaphone (on tv unit in bedroom) - www.enandis.com
Thanks, Irving & Timothy!
(Images: Irving Diaz-Burg with images 9, 11 and 13 by Lynn Kloythanomsup of Architectural Black)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.