technology, is it a good thing?
I am currently having this debate with my significant other about how long one should wait when waking up (or if one should wait at all) before reaching for a device. Part of the frustration is that when one person reaches for that tablet, the light from the device wakes the other person up. Another part of the issue is that it's not terribly romantic on those days when we're both awake for the first 15 minutes of the day to be spent ignoring each other and tapping at our phones and tablets. We also have developed a sneaking suspicion that our gadget habits could be making us late. Since we are data nerds at Unplggd we decided to track just how much time we were spending each morning in front of a screen that was prior to starting the work day. Here are the average results for how much time we each spend in front of screens in the morning:
- While still in bed: Smartphone: 15-18 minutes
- Tablet: 10 minutes during the week, 20 minutes during weekends
- Laptop or tablet during breakfast: 15-20 minutes
- Grump & Grouch: Optimizing Morning Routines
- The Guide to Better Mornings Via Technology
- Tips, Tricks and Tech to Streamline Your Morning Routine