Isabella (14 months)
We live in a 1+ bedroom in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. For those not familiar with the "+", it is a tiny 5x7 room off the bedroom with a window and a door. Our little "+" had visions of being an office, a craft room, even a darkroom at one point. That was until we found out we had a little "+" of our own on the way. Now it's the perfect little nest for our little Bella.
We wanted her room to be soothing and calm. We decided to go with a lighter version of our gray room for Bella's aptly named "Gentle Rain." The floors and ceiling got a fresh coat of white to keep it crisp and clean. To make the best use of the small space we installed an Ikea Pax armoire with storage above and Flor carpet tiles to fit the squared off space below.
A modern oval white crib and curvy vintage chairs keep the room from feeling boxy and a mirror on the back of the door reflects a ton of light. The curtains from IKEA have a subtle gray woodsy pinecone print and the generic tiebacks got a personal touch with sea foam flower bud draw pull from Anthropologie affixed to the end. One of our favorite finds was hand carved wooden bird mobile hung above the crib. An owl porcelain night light keeps watch as Bella sleeps and the animals in a beautiful personalized animal name print ensure our little one will not have ophidiophobia or pachydermophobia (fear of snakes or elephants).
• Paint color: Behr Gentle Rain
• Flor carpet tiles: Feelin' Groovy - Seafoam
• Wardrobe: IKEA PAX
• Crib: Stokke
• Verner Panton S chair: Vitra
• Vintage Casalino child's chair: Ebay
• Owl night light: Ebay
• Roost Flock of Swallows Mobile: Velocity Art and Design
• Shadow box birds: Moon River Chattel
• Cuckoo clock: Urban Outfitters (painted white, was originally green)
• Animal alphabet print: Bright Black Sheep
Thanks, Joe! Well done!
(Images: Joe E.)
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE