City: Kansas City, Missouri
My Home: Two bedroom, single-family house
I've lived in KC almost all my life, but moved to this neighborhood two years ago. I love it for its cultural diversity, quiet neighborhoods and quickly growing arts community. We are known for our jazz music history, BBQ, and love for a football team that never wins...and you'll hear lots of opinions on those subjects. We are major bargain hunters and almost every neighborhood hosts community garage sales of some sort beginning in March and running through October.Jamie's Guide to Waldo/Brookside
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- CURIOUS SOFA: 3925 W. 69th Ter.
Sometimes burlesque vintage, sometimes casual comfort home decor.
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- STUFF: 316 W. 63rd St.
Packed full of quirky handmade goodness.
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- URBAN MINING: 3924 Walnut
Retro/urban, mod/vintage flea market open the first Friday weekend of each month.
4. Favorite Bookstore
- READING REPTILE: 328 W. 63rd St.
Everything you could ever wish for in a children's bookstore.
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- THE ROASTERIE: 6223 Brookside Blvd.
KC-native coffee roaster's neighborhood cafe. Hotspot for people with MacBooks, iPhones and who enjoy philosophical conversations.
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- STRASSER: 910 Southwest Blvd.
The place that has a solution for everything.
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- McGONIGLE'S: 1307 W. 79th St.
Known for the best meat cuts in town, but also has wine, cheese, fresh produce and over 100 BBQ sauces.
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- TRAPP & CO.: 4110 Main St.
Flowers, gifts and home decor. Their candles are sold nationwide.
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- LOOSE PARK: 5200 Wornall Rd.
Popular for weddings, photo shoots, dog walking, and romantic picnics.
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- GATE'S BBQ: 4621 Paseo Blvd.
Word of advice: Know what you want before you go and be sure to grab a tray at the door, because shouting at the customers as they walk in is one of their trademarks. They're not being rude, it's part of the fun atmosphere. I recommend the Mixed Plate with a frosty beer.
Photos: Jamie Moore