Name: Jamie Graham – Design Lead at Electronic Arts and Blogger at Leach Street (and her two dogs Peter and Penelope)
Location: Austin, TX
Size: 1,300 sq. ft.
Years lived in: 1 year, 3 months
Meet Jamie, a design lead at Electronic Arts with an eye for art and a knack for crafts. In just over a year she's managed to transform a cozy two-story tract home into a place with a lively east Austin personality. A good mix of southern-hospitality-meets-modern-bohemian, it's the type of place where you'll be offered a glass of red wine with your blackberry waffle. Come on in and relax.
While you were sleeping, Jamie was turning her place into something she can be proud of. Her list of updates includes refinishing cabinets, installing bathroom countertops, and creating a beautiful white-washed wood wall in her bedroom — a wall that Jamie says involved nailing wood fencing from Home Depot onto studs before applying several coats of white-wash to get the look she wanted. Jamie's obviously not afraid of taking on a DIY challenge (or two) to realize her vision for a space that's old yet new, clean yet rustic.
Her sense of style and resourcefulness is demonstrated perfectly by her simple take on a reading nook — realized by simply lying a precisely cut plank of knotty wood onto a pair of cinderblocks. Tastefully arranged lights and art invite you to sit down and read one of the many design books (some from her days at SCAD) stored underneath.
Jamie doesn't believe in furnishing a room (or home) from simply one source. She puts her vision together piece-by-piece — often times with one-of-a-kind items from antique shows, estate sales, and thrift stores. The feature wall in the living room — painted a deep grey and filled with an organic arrangement of pictures — is a perfect example of how dramatic this approach can be.
The framed art (most inset in IKEA frames) ranges from the austere to the funny. If a Jackalopes-in-love taxidermy mount fails to elicit a laugh, her quick-to-strike-a-pose Boston Terrier (named Penelope) will surely succeed. Penelope, along with chihuahua Peter, snuck into as many interior shots as they could — seeming to confirm just how much they love the cozy and comfortable space Jamie has created. After touring this space yourself, I think it'll be easy for you to see why.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Something old, Something new!
Inspiration: I am inspired by many things, however, I find myself heavily influenced by my Southern roots as well as my travels, particularly to Scandinavia.
Favorite Element: My bedroom — it's my cozy sanctuary away from the rest of the world.
Biggest Challenge: My house is a production built home that I got an incredible deal on — one of my biggest challenges has been, naturally, making the house feel personal and unique.
What Friends Say: I'm not really sure, but probably something along the lines of me being the only person they know who can incorporate stuffed jackalopes into their décor and get away with it…
Biggest Embarrassment: Not having wood floors installed upstairs yet!
Proudest DIY: The white washed wall in my bedroom — I took a staycation from work just to get it done.
Biggest Indulgence: Textiles &mdash from Turkish bath towels to old quilts, I'm always picking something new up.
Best Advice: Don't buy everything you own from one store or time period.
Dream Sources: My dream sources are usually antique malls, auctions, thrift stores, or events like Round Top or Canton Days. I'm a digger, and find some of the best treasures that way.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Dark Color in Living Room : Martha Stewart : "Seal"
- • Mid Century Black Credenza : Vintage : Knobs from Anthropologie
• Painting : Whitney LeJeune
• Architectural Name Piece : Eva Schone from Trophyology
• Pitchers : Vintage
• Yellow Chairs : Vintage Herman Miller
- • Sectional : Star Furniture
• Coffee Table : Four Hands
• Green chair : Vintage estate sale find
• Table Lamp : Overstock.com
• Floor Lamp : West Elm
• Curtains : Ikea
• TV Stand : Ikea
• Jackalopes in Love: Cabelas.com
• Painting : Mary Lee
• Boston Terrier Print : LuciusArt on Etsy
• Pillows : Ikea
• Cowhide Rug : Cabelas.com
• Mid Century End Table : Vintage
• Old Tobacco Box : Austin Antique Mall
• Geode Coasters : Souvenirs from Wyoming
- • White Tripod Table : West Elm
• White Eiffel Chairs : Overstock.com
• Dresser : Ikea
• Austin Print : Ork Posters
• Pink Lamp : Home Depot
• Storage Jars : Marshall's and Ikea
• Curtains : West Elm
• Chalkboard : Ikea
• Track Lighting : Lowes
• Pendant Sink Light : Ikea
• Cutting Board : Treehouse
• 128 (above cabinets) : Austin Antique Mall
- • Tufted Gray Bedframe : World Market
• Striped Sheets and Yellow Quilt : West Elm
• White Side Tables : West Elm
• White Table Lamps : Ikea
• Black Leather Rug : Overstock.com
• Accent Pillow : Round Top Find
• Art Deco Piece : Austin Auction
• Art Deco Mirror : Austin Auction
• Hanging Pumpkin Vine Ball : Round Top Find
• Terrarium : Hobby Lobby
• Orange Chair : Vintage Herman Miller
• Skull Above Bed : Canton Days Find
- • Marble Counter Tops : Top Surface Austin
• Towel Holders : Target
• Hand Towels : West Elm
• Turkish Bath Towels : Etsy
• Rug : Target
• Striped Jar : West Elm
• White Storage Piece : Ikea
- • Bed : Robert Idol for Lane
• Sheets : Thomas O'Brien : Target
• Quilt : TJ MAXX
• Armoire : Austin Antique Mall
• Tufted Orange Chair : City Wide Garage Sale in Austin
• Orange Lamps : Crate and Barrel
• Side Tables : Ikea
• Blue Painting : Mary Lee
• Drawing on Armoire : Rich Weston
• Letter Posters Above Bed : Round Rock Antique Mall
- • Bench : Wood and Cinder Blocks : Home Depot
• Friendship Print : Curtis Jinkins : Society6.com
• Quilt : Vintage
• Lamp : Marshall's
• Two Cute Prints : AshleyG on Etsy
• I'd Rather Be Sleeping Print : AshleyG on Etsy
• Metal "G" in Stairwell : Round Top Find
(Images: Chris Perez)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.