Name: Nick (12) and Lucas (8)
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan
Room Size: Bedroom is 240 sqft and Playroom is 144 sqft.
Jane has a beautiful home, that, while child friendly, makes very few aesthetic sacrifices. Her boys' bedroom and playroom are no exception. The rooms are sophisticated spaces that, at the same time, burst with excitement and the potential for adventure for Jane's two playful but wise-beyond-their-years young boys.
Nick and Lucas are quite opinionated when it comes to design. A professional designer with a confident style, Jane still endures some tough critiques on the home front. Of late, she has been including them in more and more of the decision-making process. Everyone is happy and the results are strikingly great!
How would you describe the look and feel of this room/these rooms?
I was hoping to design a boys' room they would not outgrow when they became teenagers — so far so good (they're 8 and 12). The playroom/extra bedroom is pretty neutral except for the beach wallpaper!
What is your favorite piece or element?
I love the World Map wallpaper on the boys' wall. I got it from a website and it's so fun to look at places around the world. We had to eliminate a country to make it all fit, so we lost New Zealand! ☹
What was the biggest challenge decorating this room?
The room that the boys share has lots of BLUE — I thought that would be overwhelming so I was pleasantly surprised that all the blues came together in a soothing way!
What do friends say about the room?
That they have a beautiful view...
Do you have any advice for parents creating a room for their child?
Include the kids in the decorating. When you are about to make a decision on something, make sure you like all the choices then let them pick the "winner"...
What, if any, are your additional plans for the room?
Nothing at the moment
If money were no object, what would be your dream source?
I was happy with everything we chose (they are kids' rooms after all!)
• World Map wallpaper: McMaps
• Desk: PB Teen
• Built in Closets: California Closets
• Sheets: West Elm
• Bunkbed: Chelsea Kids Quarters
• Couch/bed: Ligne Roset
• Bookshelf: Conran
• Desk/All the frames/Round floor rugs: Ikea
• Pillows: Hable Construction
Thank you Jane!
• For Jane's full house tour, check out Jane's Comfortably Luxurious Family Home on Apartment Therapy.
(Images: Jill Slater)
• KIDS' ROOM TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past kids' room and nursery tours here
• ROOM SUBMISSIONS:Have a kid's space you'd like to share? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh — short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours here.