Coming up in January, the readers and editors of Apartment Therapy and Blueprint/Bluelines have the opportunity to jump in and get a project done - together. We're hoping that with the support of the community it will be an easy road from "Before" to "After." We're going to attempt a project that we've been putting off for far too long: re-doing our dining room set . . . We bought the table months ago on Craigslist because we loved its lines, but want to make it more modern by using a high gloss paint and adding some color. The inspiration? Anthropologie's Melody Stripe Dining Table. The currently mis-matched chairs will be getting a paint and upholstery makeover, which hopefully will tie them together - both with each other and with the table. Our first steps:
- research urethane and paint strippers. We've heard good things about Soygel, and need to track some down to give it a try.
- research paints - we want something with a high-gloss hard finish, as this table gets regular use and isn't something we want to worry about getting dinged up.
- decide on a color pallet and stripe pattern. The Melody Stripe's oranges and reds won't work with our green and blue dining room, and while we love the stripes, we probably need something slightly more toned down for our space.
- read all the details here
- pick your project
- take a before photo or two
- get your supplies together...and we'll all be ready to go in January.