We wrote about Java-Logs a few months ago, right after one of those unpredictable heat waves that SF has, when the weather had once again turned foggy and cold. We wondered if the fireplace logs smelled like coffee, how they burnt, how they lasted, but we don't have a fireplace so we couldn't try them ourselves.
Made from used coffee grounds, Java-Logs are advertised as being better than wood. They're clean-burning, safe, and better for the environment because they save trees while also producing fewer emissions (carbon monoxide, creosote deposits, particulate matter) than firewood.
A few days ago we were finally able to test them out in a friend's fireplace. And we were impressed. Java-Logs actually don't smell like coffee -- there's no odor at all. They burn really well, and really cleanly, and the flame was large and bright. They last about as long as other fireplace logs, and the price is comparable. We paid somewhere around $3.50 for one log.
(Edited from a June 2006 post)