Jean Prouvé was a prolific French designer and architect who had a tremendous influence on the aesthetic that we now call 'mid century'. His oak and iron dining table has been on my dream list for a while. It is incredibly simple and elegant while still maintaining a solid presence, even when paired with other furniture heavy hitters.
I wanted to put together a dining room based on the Jean Prouvé table and instead of toning down the supporting players, I decided to go all out and really create my fantasy dining room, perfect for long dinners, spreading out papers I'm working on, or just having a cup of tea.
Clockwise from top left:
• Fiddle Leaf Fig: No dining room (or any room for that matter) would be complete without a plant and the fiddle leaf fig is a classic. Its leaves are sculptural and big and they grow well indoors near a window. I've had good luck finding them inexpensively at Home Depot.
• Lindsey Adelman Chandelier: These hand blown chandeliers are even more beautiful in person. I love the branching bubbles version and got to use one once on a project and was blown away by the craftsmanship.
• Large Scale Photo: In my dream dining room, there is plenty of space for a large scale photo. Uta Barth is one of my heroes when it comes to photography and it would be a dream to own and display one of her photographs. Until then, an homage might do the trick like this one from Sumerspot on Flickr.
• Claude Lalanne Sculpture: I like to keep things to a minimum so in terms of decoration I would love a simple, heavy gold sculpture from Claude Lalanne another heavy hitter.
• Black Thonet Chair: Thonet Chairs are classics and this glossy black version with a caned back is perfect. Comfortable, curvey and masculine.
• Sheepskin: A bunch of sheepskins from Ikea are the perfect thing to soften up all the hard edges and minimal approach in my dream dining room. Available for $39.99 from Ikea.
• The Table: And the table itself I found on 1st dibs on the Galerie Andre Hayat page. This one has some damage but I'm ok with that. I was taught that even if something is a dream item, it's meant to be lived with, not meant to stay perfect.
• Suzani: Although not meant to be on the floor, I would want a fun suzani or ethnic rug to break up all the hard lines and fairly minimal approach. This one is currently $100 on ebay.
• Marimekko Teapot: What is a dining room for if not to sit down and relax. I imagine that I have a great window and view and I can sit down with a cup of tea in my favorite teapot, the Marimekko Oiva White Teapot for $75.
Images: Please follow links above for image credits