Name: Jen & Moi (Moises) and Mochi
Location: Echo Park — Los Angeles, California
Size: 700 square feet
Years lived in: 4 months — rented
Jen and Moi weren’t even seriously looking for a new place when they happened on this sweet little gem in Echo Park. Jen says they didn’t want to "move just to move" — it had to be someplace perfect — and when perfect came calling…they jumped!
It wasn’t without compromise that the couple moved into this little hillside back house. Both Jen and Moi had to get rid of tons of stuff from their previous lives in order to make the space work. They got rid of chairs, bookshelves, clothes — anything extraneous! They purged their closets donating everything to Out of the Closet thrift store and started anew in this space!
The airy, bright cottage has beautiful views of the hills in Echo Park — with an entire wall of glass French doors that look out to the deck and the view! The couple often leave all doors open on warm days — they are the poster children for indoor/outdoor SoCal living!
Even though the indoor space is tiny, there is a little detached room at the far end of the deck that Jen uses as her office and a larger patio on the side of the house that the couple use frequently for entertaining and living. Jen and Moi are loving their new digs…and since the move have added a new member to their brood — their adorable Shiba Inu, Mochi!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Comfortable and practical with tons of natural light.
Inspiration: Swiss Family Robinson (double entendre on the “Swiss”)
Favorite Element: We're absolutely in love with the French doors. They allow us to open up the entire side of the house to take in views of the morning glories and Elysian Park.
Biggest Challenge: The size. We knew we were going to have to play furniture Tetris when we moved in, but we didn’t realize how much we would have to part with.
What Friends Say: “It’s so you!”, and comments about how “open” and “cozy” the space is.
Biggest Embarrassment: Our biggest embarrassment is the fact that the refrigerator is in the laundry room / pantry. The placement itself isn’t that much of a problem, but we’d rather not have our friends walk past dirty laundry to grab a beer.
Proudest DIY: The container gardens. It’s amazing being able to walk outside to pick basil, rosemary, mint, tomatoes or jalapeños.
Biggest Indulgence: The rent.
Best Advice: Wool rugs and puppies don’t mix.
Dream Sources: Local artists discovered while on international adventures.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Kitchen & Living Room: shades of eggshell and light latte
• Bedroom: avocado green
LIVING ROOM/DINING ROOM
• Couch: CB2
• Table & Chairs, Coffee table, Record Station & Rug: IKEA
• Harry Allen Pig Bank: Design Public
• Electric Chair print: Andy Warhol
• Candle Holder & Virgin Mary print: Olvera Street, Downtown Los Angeles
• Vase & Face Planter: My brother’s art — La Placa Pottery Works, Point Pleasant, New Jersey
• Whale Butter Dish: Jonathan Adler
• Dishes: Target
• Bedding, dresser, book shelves & rug: IKEA
• Boy & Girl print: gift from sister-in-law, purchased in Soho, New York
• Hedgehog pillow: Yolk in Silverlake
• Chairs: IKEA
• Plants: Sunset Boulevard Nursery & Home Depot
• Pots: Home Depot
Thanks, Jen & Moi!
Images: Alison Gilbert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.