Name: Jennifer Chong - Designer & Photographer
Location: Belmont Heights - Long Beach, California
Size: Around 400 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years
Jennifer's small space proves that you can be happy living with just what you need. She loves to travel, so she would much rather have experiences than expensive stuff. Still, with all the fun artwork, graphics, and small accessories, her live/work space is very lively and inviting.
Jennifer moved from Atlanta and scored when she found her home. Her place is a guest house behind a cute family home on a great street in Long Beach. It is a quiet neighborhood and is very close to the beach, so you can head down anytime to play volleyball for hours!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: A mix of modern, simplistic, fun, and functional design.
Inspiration: To create a live/work space that was modern and comfortable. I'm inspired by Mid-Century modern, travel, graphic prints, and typography.
Favorite Element: The sunlight that shines through during the day is great, it makes me feel energized and ready to start my day.
Biggest Challenge: My home has always been a work in progress (I don't even feel as though it's halfway complete!), since I am always traveling or busy with something. The process of finding what I want and having the funds to get what I want has been challenging. There are still things in my apartment that I had when I first moved in that were only supposed to be temporary!
What Friends Say: "Your place is so cute and so designy!" and "Why do you have so many letters?"
Biggest Embarrassment: The lighting and overhead fans — since I am renting, I don't want to put a lot of money into changing things, but haven't found the perfect floor lighting to add to the space. Oh, also the blinds!
Proudest DIY: I have a long list of DIY projects I want to get done for my house, but haven't managed to make any big projects a reality yet. First on the list is a new desk!
Biggest Indulgence: The sofa, or getting custom framing for some of the prints I have.
Best Advice: If you haven't touched it in a year, you don't need it in your home. Less is more!
Dream Sources: Dwell Studio, Heath Ceramics, DWR, Anthropologie, someone to help me find all the good stuff at the flea markets
Resources of Note:
FURNITURE & LIGHTING
- Large & - Anthropologie
- X and G - Anthropologie
- A - Flea Market
- Ceramics - Heath Ceramics
- Black and White striped pillow - Proud Mary
- Yellow Gray Pillow - Dwell Studio
- & Pillow - Crate&Barrel
- Entry Light - CB2
RUGS & CARPETS
- Zig Zag Rug - Urban Outfitters
- Malm Bed - Ikea
- World Map - The Future Mapping Company
- Georgia Map - These are Things
- Los Angeles Map - These are Things
- Hi - My Little Underground
- Tree - Elon Scoenholz
- Hulking Spectators of a bygone Age - Original by Kathi Bahr
- Pier - Ryan Ketterman
- Flock - Wayne Pate
- Giraffe Print - Sharon Montrose
- & - House Industries
- Bedding - Dwell Studio
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.