Name: Jeremy, Joe, & Lucy the dog
Location: East Side — Providence, Rhode Island
Size: 2 Bedrooms, office, double-parlor living rooms
Years lived in: 3 — rented
Jeremy, a type designer, and Joe, a writer, share their historic Providence home with an adorable French Bulldog named Lucy and a fascinating collection of objects and art they've acquired or inherited. The history behind each piece reveals the pair's love of typography, design, and a good story.
Knowing the apartment might be temporary, Jeremy and Joe filled it with well-chosen furnishings from IKEA, garage sales, and thrift shops — creating a space that mixes personality with livability. They've found a number of ways to make their rental feel more permanent without altering the space — from covering the walls with art instead of paint to lighting with floor lamps to finding a less wall-damaging way to trick out their IKEA Mandal headboard.
Next month, the couple packs up and leaves the spacious rental for a new home in Minneapolis, but even as they start their next chapter, their possessions serve as sentimental reminders of their collective and personal histories.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Comfortable and eclectic.
Inspiration: A typeface designer and a writer... It would have to be letters and words.
Favorite Element: Our dog, Lucy.
Biggest Challenge: Old windows and cold winters make for drafty apartments.
What Friends Say: People love the circular layout and the amount of space. They ask: How much do you pay? and When are you moving out?
Biggest Embarrassment: When we were installing the headboard in the master bedroom, we had an accident with the drill. There's a large hole in the wall. We covered it up with a small post-it note. That was three years ago, and no one has ever said a thing about it.
Proudest DIY: The hacked Ikea Mandal Headboard — read this post about its creation.
Biggest Indulgence: Art, specifically art dedicated to typography, but also books. We have shelves and shelves of books, and then boxes of books tucked away.
Best Advice: Collect and curate objects that you love and want to spend time with in your home.
Resources of Note:
• Jake Sofa purchased at Moon River Chattel in Brooklyn, NY
• Industrial table and typewriter table from Vinny's Antiques in Seekonk, MA
• Illuminated Globe from eBay
• Animal Pillows: Areaware
• Wool Throw Blanket: Alafoss Interiors in Iceland
• Vintage Posters: Franciszek Starowieyski / Saul Steinberg
• Steel chairs: Jeremy's mom found these at a garage sale in Ohio
• Reclaimed Railroad Tie Coffee Table from Viva Terra
• Framed pages from a 1950's air force manual describing lenses.
• Sofa and Chair: Ikea
• Vintage Printing Table: found at a garage sale
• "R" from Rhode Island Antique Mall
• Brass Lamps: $2 at a garage sale
• Cast Iron Ampersand, Blocks (on coffee table) and printed pillows by House Industries
• Glass Kitty Cat from Vinny's Antiques
• Alarm clock: a Pawtucket garage sale
• Coffee Table: (Stockholm) from Ikea
• Oil Lamp: handcrafted by Joe's grandfather
• Vintage Medicine Bottles from an antique store in Provincetown, MA and filled with sand from Vík í Mýrdal, Iceland and Vieques, Puerto Rico
• Cast Plaster end tables: garage sale find
• Throw blanket and rug: Ikea
• Vintage kitchen table and chairs from Joe's Grandparents farmhouse. His mother ate at that table when she was five years old. (Same upholstery!)
• Photograph by John Caserta
• "Cats Fighting" by Dasha Shiskin
• F from the Brimfield Antique Show
• Green Fan-back Chair from Joe's Grandmother (He learned to read in that chair!)
• Sapien Bookcase: DWR (Slightly damaged. So it was gifted to us — Free!)
• Small Table: garage sale find
• Quilt: Inhabit
• Blanket is actually a picnic cloth by Steven Alan from their warehouse sale
• Mandal Headboard and Bed: Ikea
• Photograph of Lucy flying by Patrick Figueroa
• Josef Frank print Pillows from Kreatelier in Providence, RI
• Jack Pierson Slow photograph purchased from Printer Matter NYC
• Clip Lights: Ikea
• Rugs: Ikea
• Lamp: eBay
• Wool Throw Blanket: Alafoss Interiors in Iceland
GUEST BEDROOM (or The Grandma Suite)
• Linens: DwellStudio
• Grandma's menagerie from various garage sales and antique shops
• Painting and frame: eBay
• Photographs: Business Surplus in Providence, RI
• Desk: purchased by our friends, the previous tenants, and left behind because it is so enormous and so heavy
• Steelcase Chair: found at an antique shop in southern Rhode Island
• Photographs: Esoule on Etsy
• Tote bag from Village
• Ten Primary Cloud Formations screen print (glows in the dark!) purchased from Etsy (No longer available)
• Blue Eiffel Chair: DWR in Providence, RI (purchased during their close-out sale)
• French Bulldog pillow from TwinkleLiving
• Eventide "M" print from House Industries (drawn by Jeremy)
• Letterboxes by John Caserta and Jeremy from The Design Office in Providence, RI
Thanks, Jeremy & Joe!
Images: Sarah Rainwater
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.