Living Room with Origami Tessallation sculpture
Name: Jeremy & Ralph
Location: Manhattan — New York
Jeremy (an Acoustical Consultant / DJ) and Ralph (Chemical Engineer / Environmental Litigator) were college roommates their freshman year and this is their first place together 5 years later. The roommates share an 875 square foot 2 bedroom apartment that has a a rustic and minimalist feel. Aside from the Eames LCW chairs, and the obvious IKEA pieces, everything was either handmade or restored.
JEREMY & RALPH'S STUFF
• The shelf piping is direct from The Brick House
• The dining table is a reclaimed church floor joist, inspired by drocko (instructables), complete with nail holes, aberrations, and glue marks (stripes down sides)
• The credenza — once a wreck — was restored and houses a vinyl collection and two hidden speakers underneath a "DJ booth"
• The sculptures above the bed and couch are based off origami tessellations — we wanted to stray from two dimensional, static paintings
By keeping all flat planes within 30" or less off the floor (with the exception of the bookshelves), the apartment actually looked larger with furniture, than without.
The biggest challenge was balancing the aesthetics and acoustics of the DJ booth. Keeping the speakers outside of the booth would have been an eyesore. However, they are placed inside, on either end of the credenza, such that when the doors are opened slightly, they reflect sound back to whoever is playing with the turntables.
Thanks Jeremy & Ralph!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.