We're launching a new series of reader-submitted neighborhood guides! If you're interested in sharing the best of your neighborhood with our community, check out this submission form.
Name: Jesse & Erick
Neighborhood: Fairmount/Art Museum
City: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Our Home: One bedroom loft apartment
Having lived all over Chicago, New York and Cleveland, I can say that Fairmount (also known as Art Museum neighborhood) in Philadelphia is by far my favorite neighborhood I've ever lived in! Just blocks from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Boathouse Row, future sight of The Barnes Foundation, and littered with bars full of craft beers and great jukeboxes, Fairmount is the most friendly and diverse neighborhood in the city.
Jesse & Erick's Guide to Fairmount
The understated cousin of Northern Liberties, the neighborhood surrounds the Eastern State Penitentiary Museum which formerly housed famous inmates such as Al Capone.
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- OLIVER'S ANTIQUES: The corner of 21st and Fairmount Ave.
From Oliver's site: "An everchanging inventory of late 1800s to Mid-Century Modern furniture."
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- ALY'S WAGON: 2017 Fairmount Ave.
From Aly's site: "A diverse inventory of contemporary housewares, bath and body supplies, and children's items."
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- FAIRMOUNT FLEA MARKET: 22nd and Fairmount at the Eastern State Penitentiary
Huge flea market this weekend!
4. Favorite Bookstore
- BOOKHAVEN: 2202 Fairmount Ave.
From insiderpages.com: "A fine selection of used books on two floors."
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- THE BISHOP'S COLLAR: 2349 Fairmount Ave.
From their site: "A thirst-quenching, rotating array of outstanding regional microbrews, unusual cocktails, and the best 'Sunday Morning Bloody Mary' in the city."
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- FAIRMOUNT HARDWARE: 2011 Fairmount Ave.
From insiderpages.com: "The 'helpful place' for hardware, plumbing, tools, grills, garden and more."
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- FEDER'S: 1822 Spring Garden St.
Cheapest produce around!
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- PLANTS ETC.: 2313 Fairmount Ave.
Flowers, plants, and special-order bouquets.
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- THE SPRING GARDENS or FAIRMOUNT PARK: 18th and 19th Sts. between Wallace St. and North St. (The Spring Gardens) and 4231 North Concourse Dr. (Fairmount Park)
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY: 22nd & Fairmount Ave.
Capone was there!
Thanks, Jesse & Erick!
Photos: Jesse & Erick