Name: Jessica Hougen, homeowner, and Angela King
Location: Charleston Heights — Las Vegas, Nevada
Size: 1350 square feet
Years lived in: 2 — owned
Since purchasing her Las Vegas home a couple of years ago, Jessica has steadily updated it room by room. Until she moved in, it had not been renovated since it was built. She has done a marvelous job infusing the preexisting features that came with the house with vintage furniture and decor.
As a curator, Jessica has a natural sense of space unification. She has chosen beautifully intense colors to accent and connect each room. Likewise, her roommate Angela, is a talented artist. Her paintings blend quite naturally with the color palette of the home. Much of the decor throughout is inspired by travel and art. In total, this home exhibits a great blend of vintage and modern.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Jessica : Very mixed. A little gypsy.
Inspiration: Jessica : Living and traveling abroad.
Favorite Element: Jessica : Color.
Biggest Challenge: Jessica : Lack of direct light.
What Friends Say: Jessica : They love it! Comfortable and welcoming.
Biggest Embarrassment: Jessica : The sparkly popcorn ceiling in the room that used to be part of the garage- it is the one room in the house that I haven't done a single thing to. I had to leave one room intact to move everything into while working in the other rooms.
Proudest DIY: Jessica : Scraping off the popcorn ceilings in the entire house by myself. And pulling out the carpet (and the layers of carpet pad underneath!) with the help of one friend.
Biggest Indulgence: Jessica : The tile in the entryway.
Best Advice: Jessica : Don't listen to the naysayers- and don't be afraid of color!
Dream Sources: Jessica : A lot of companies in England- too many to list! I lived there for a year, and fell in love with the style. Living Etc. is my favorite home magazine, enabling me to torture myself every month with what I can't buy.
Resources of Note:
Antique stores, Craigslist, flea markets, and Salvation Army.
PAINT & COLORS
• Olympic Premium, many many different colors...
• Plant stand- Antique store
• Peacock embroidery- Antique store
• Console table- an Asian import store here in Las Vegas
•Tile- European Bath Tile & Stone (Las Vegas)
• Bookshelf and CD Rack- made by Jessica's dad
• Couch and chair (in the middle of the room)- Pottery Barn
• Yellow Chair and side table- Salvation Army
• Asian Chairs- Craigslist
•Console- Retro Vegas (a fabulous mid-century modern store in Las Vegas)
•Art- Variety of local artists, antiques, Etsy purchases, and random goodies.
• Table and chairs- These came with the house
• Bookshelf and cart- These came with the house
JESSICA'S GREY BEDROOM
• Bed- Made by my dad
• Side table- Salvation Army
• Striped ottoman- Anthropologie
• Pink Chair- Given to me by my grandmother
• Bookshelf- Design Within Reach
• Art- Various local and Etsy artists
ANGELA'S BLUE BEDROOM
• Bed- Craigslist
• Black Cabinet- Antique store
•Paintings- Made by Angela King
MUSIC ROOM / STUDY / STUDIO
• Record stand- Given to me by my parents
• Desk- Craigslist
• Cedar chest- Made by Jessica's grandpa
• Art- Various local artists, including Angela King
Thanks, Jessica and Angela!
Images: Beth Bates
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.