Jessica Hougen, homeowner, and Angela King
Charleston Heights — Las Vegas, Nevada
1350 square feet
Years lived in:
2 — owned
Since purchasing her Las Vegas home a couple of years ago, Jessica has steadily updated it room by room. Until she moved in, it had not been renovated since it was built. She has done a marvelous job infusing the preexisting features that came with the house with vintage furniture and decor.
As a curator, Jessica has a natural sense of space unification. She has chosen beautifully intense colors to accent and connect each room. Likewise, her roommate Angela, is a talented artist. Her paintings blend quite naturally with the color palette of the home. Much of the decor throughout is inspired by travel and art. In total, this home exhibits a great blend of vintage and modern.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Jessica : Very mixed. A little gypsy.
Jessica : Living and traveling abroad.
Jessica : Color.
Jessica : Lack of direct light.
What Friends Say:
Jessica : They love it! Comfortable and welcoming.
Jessica : The sparkly popcorn ceiling in the room that used to be part of the garage- it is the one room in the house that I haven't done a single thing to. I had to leave one room intact to move everything into while working in the other rooms.
Jessica : Scraping off the popcorn ceilings in the entire house by myself. And pulling out the carpet (and the layers of carpet pad underneath!) with the help of one friend.
Jessica : The tile in the entryway.
Jessica : Don't listen to the naysayers- and don't be afraid of color!
Jessica : A lot of companies in England- too many to list! I lived there for a year, and fell in love with the style. Living Etc. is my favorite home magazine, enabling me to torture myself every month with what I can't buy.
Resources of Note:
Antique stores, Craigslist, flea markets, and Salvation Army.
PAINT & COLORS
• Olympic Premium, many many different colors...
• Plant stand- Antique store
• Peacock embroidery- Antique store
• Console table- an Asian import store here in Las Vegas
•Tile- European Bath Tile & Stone (Las Vegas)
• Bookshelf and CD Rack- made by Jessica's dad
• Couch and chair (in the middle of the room)- Pottery Barn
• Yellow Chair and side table- Salvation Army
• Asian Chairs- Craigslist
•Console- Retro Vegas (a fabulous mid-century modern store in Las Vegas)
•Art- Variety of local artists, antiques, Etsy purchases, and random goodies.
• Table and chairs- These came with the house
• Bookshelf and cart- These came with the house
JESSICA'S GREY BEDROOM
• Bed- Made by my dad
• Side table- Salvation Army
• Striped ottoman- Anthropologie
• Pink Chair- Given to me by my grandmother
• Bookshelf- Design Within Reach
• Art- Various local and Etsy artists
ANGELA'S BLUE BEDROOM
• Bed- Craigslist
• Black Cabinet- Antique store
•Paintings- Made by Angela King
MUSIC ROOM / STUDY / STUDIO
• Record stand- Given to me by my parents
• Desk- Craigslist
• Cedar chest- Made by Jessica's grandpa
• Art- Various local artists, including Angela King
Thanks, Jessica and Angela!
Images: Beth Bates
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.