- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the Victorian charm throughout my apartment: the original hardwood floors and trim, the high ceilings, the big windows, the vintage radiators. Even the antique claw foot tub was manufactured by a local company at the turn of the century. It's cozy, charming, and quirky. I like to think about the individuals who originally lived here - and those who lived here throughout the past century. While my living room, dining space, and kitchen are squeezed into one room, my large bedroom and ridiculously spacious bathroom more than make up for it. I'm also smitten with the closet in my bedroom. It has a window in it and I couldn't bear to use it just for clothes. So I turned it into a desk nook!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. More can be more. I'm not one that lives by the "less is more" mantra. The more patterns, the more color, the more there is to look at... the happier I am. I love mixing and matching prints, eras, and styles. I often move furniture around the room (and from room to room) to create different options. I'm not a minimalist by any means.
2. Do-it-yourself. I like to get crafty with my decor and furnishings because it feels more personal, reflects my creative personality, and inspires my creativity. From art to revamped furniture, there's a lot of DIY infused into this space. No thrifted chair or end table is safe from my can of spray paint.
3. Surround yourself with what YOU like. If I think it is lovely, it ends up in my apartment. I like to mingle MidCentury Modern with turn-of-the-century. I like eclectic touches, kitschy details, and non-color schemes. I'm the one who has to live here, so I surround myself with what makes me feel comfortable, happy, and inspired.