I very nearly fell off my chair when I saw this garden...if you can really call it that. Dreamworld may be more appropriate. Making the most of its lush lakeside setting, Jim Scott's oasis is a mix of wilderness, whimsy, and plain fun— complete with a life-size chess set and natural stone-walled al fresco dining room. Oh yeah, and a waterfall.
Despite all its amenities and interesting man-made touches, part of the appeal of Jim's garden is its naturalness. Even the more manicured sections don't appear to upset or outdo nature:
• Moss and natural elements mix with man-made forms like the sculpture busts.
• A series of raised bridges traverse the garden. Southern Living explains that Jim created them so that "his late wife, Vivian, who was no longer ambulatory, could still tour the grounds."
• Waterfalls and streams flowing through the garden set the dreamy tone.
• A life size chess set provides a whimsical twist to a favorite pastime.
• The huge natural stones enclose one of the many spots suited to enjoying a family meal.
I think any romantic visions I've held about secret gardens have just been blown out of the water.
Be sure to check out the full slideshow at: Southern Living
Images: Southern Living