Name: Jody Curtin and Joe Wilmot
Location: Marina Del Rey — Los Angeles, California
Size: 650 square feet
Years lived in: 6 — Rent
Jody Curtin and Joe Wilmot have a compactly-sized Marina Del Rey condo that offers a fresh take on a traditional rental. With the help of Natalie Younger they were able to design their ideal home with a fresh and cool palette that celebrates the best of beach living.
This one bedroom condo sits a few miles from the beach and has a calming freshness about it. Jody and Joe chose cool tones of blues, sages, and whites that really bring a relaxing vibe to each room.
Natalie, the designer, explained that one of Jody's requests was to have a clean and clutter-free home; one that was adaptable for her son, who lives with her part time. There is plenty of shelving and storage for all the books and toys. Another wonderful feature that they were able to implement pretty nicely into the small space was a home office for Jody's business.
Living in Los Angeles has had its influence on their personal style. "We like stylish things," Jody explains, but insists that " usefulness and unpretentiousness" are essential. "We both like clean, modern, and minimalistic spaces." Anyone who can accomplish these key elements in their home environment will easily find what makes them most happy. In Jody and Joe's case, they felt that their bed, where they enjoy all their down time and doing "the husband and wife thing," was the most significant thing in their home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Cozy Contemporary
Favorite Element: The white credenza and the dining room table
Biggest Challenge: Making a designless space look designed
What Friends Say: "holy s***!"
Biggest Embarrassment: The cottage cheese ceiling
Biggest Indulgence: Living room sofa. It's so comfy; its cushions are feather/down over memory foam.
Best Advice: Got this from Apartment Therapy book: It's okay to put some money into your place even if it's a rental. It's your home so you might as well enjoy where you live. It's so true. So we replaced the ugly carpeting with a nice berber at our expense and, wow, this place is a stylish little oasis of chill (just don't look up and notice the cottage cheese).
Dream Sources: Palm Springs Hotels
Resources of Note:
Paint and Colors
• Kitchen- Dunn Edwards "Wharf View"
• Bedroom- Dunn Edwards "Silver Creek"
• Hallway- Dunn Edwards "Green Mirror"
• Living room- Dunn Edwards "Miner's Dust" and "Rolling Waves"
• X Base Side Table-UNI Designs L.A. Design Mart
• Two Drawer Storage Cabinet-Plummer's
• Sofa-Designers Custom design and manufactured by The Sofa Co
• Tripod Lamp-West Elm
• Capiz Shell Lamp-Arterior's
• Pillows-Custom made- Pattern by Dwell Home Fabrics
• Leather Side Chairs-West Elm
• Coffee Table-West Elm
• Desk-West Elm
• Desk Chair-CB2
• White Console-Plummers
• Side Lamps-Ikea
• Art over Console-Custom Piece by Designer
• Art over Sofa-I Need Nice Things.Com
• Organic Live Edge Wood Table Top-Four Hands
• Chandelier-Shades of Light
• Art Dining Room-Clients Own
• Kitchen Art-I Need Nice Things.com
• Curtains-West Elm
• Duvet-The Company Store
• Pillows-Custom Pillows-Fabric from Thai Silk
• Paint living-Dunn Edwards- Miners Dust & Rolling Waves
Thanks, Jody + Joe !
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.