Name: Joel Pirela of Unplggd
Location: Miami, Florida
Size: 989 square feet
Years lived in: 10
Joel has been a long-time reader of Apartment Therapy and we got a recent glimpse of Joel's home over on Unplggd — he did a tech tour showcasing all of his tech gear! Besides his collection of all things tech, Joel has also created quite the collection of mid-century modern furniture.
Joel has an obvious love for all things mid-century and modern. His home is filled with his rather large collection from the past, in a very successful way. It would be so easy for this Miami home to feel cluttered or dated, but the vintage pieces were paired so well with modern elements.
For each vintage piece, there's an equally stunning modern piece. Joel embraced his collection and instead of dispersing them throughout the home, he clumped them together in an artsy way. We love his wall of vintage clocks because if displayed separately around the house, we'd wonder why he had so many clocks — together, we're thinking "why can't I have a wall of clocks?". We also find ourselves wanting a wall of vintage chairs as well!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mid Century + Modern (instead of the MCM; one word)
Inspiration: Clean layouts, open spaces, minimum add-ons. The web and Japanese architecture.
Favorite Element: The "Wall of Clocks" by George Nelson.
Biggest Challenge: In order to make the "Wall of Clocks", I had to cover the entire wall with ¼" Birch Plywood 8 feet by 4 feet panels.
What Friends Say: Do you have any kids? Did you pay a designer to make this? or "The best kept secret of the Crossings".
Biggest Embarrassment: If I had an embarrassment, I would’ve taken care of that long time ago! We have areas that may need improvement. The kitchen is next.
Proudest DIY: The Wireless speaker system and my DIY modern baby gate.
Biggest Indulgence: My Saarinen Marble tulip table in the eat-in kitchen. We use it everyday and maybe the Prouvé Standard chair.
Best Advice: Measure twice before cutting. Ikea is your best friend if you know its limitations.
Dream Sources: Always DWR, Highbrowfurniture, Yliving and Ylightning, Colette, Muji, Luminaire, Arango.
Other Inspiration: Japanese and Modern Brazilian architecture.
• GE washer and dryer
• KitchenAid stove, oven, refrigerator, microwave
• Panasonic 42 HDTV Plasma 3 Sharp 15” LCDs (kitchen, Isabella’s bedroom, downstairs)
• Pioneer HDMI DVD
• Apple TV
• 27” iMac
• Epson 700 AIO printer
• Mac Mini
• Apple 23” Cinema Display
• iPads, and every other iDevice!
• Herman Miller: LCW x 2, DCW x 2, DCM, RAR, Nelson Bench, Noguchi Table, Side Chair/Eiffel x 3, • Vitra: Prouvé Standard Chair
• Magis chair 1 By Grcic
• Knoll Bertoia chrome x2, black x 2
• Diamond Saarinen Marble tulip table
• Emeco Navy chair
• IKEA Besta units and kitchen cabinets for closet.
• IKEA bed
• Crate & Barrel Bed
• Vitra Nelson clocks
• Eames Bird
• Vintage Howard Miller Clock from 1960’s
• Stark citrus juicer
• Tolomeo classic (several)
• Tolomeo Mega
• Tolomeo sconce with arm
• DIY DNA lamp sconce
• Modernica Nelson Bubble lamps (x2)
• The Shade Store 3% black roller solar fabric
RUGS & CARPET
• Picked by Hand cowhide stitch works and IKEA for Isabella’s room
• Greentek made in Germany, real maple, engineered and floating
• Patio is solid Ipe wood with hidden fasteners
TILES & STONE
• Absolute black granite and polished marble.
• Bisazza glass mosaic for master bathroom
Images: Joel Pirela
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.