Name: John Coulter
Location: Miracle Mile — Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,500 square feet (1 bedroom + 1.5 bath)
Years lived in: 5 years — own
John Coulter lives in lovely home on a residential block of Miracle Mile. His Spanish style charmer houses worldly collections of art and decor from across the globe. He has created a warm, lived-in home with a back yard to die for.
When my friends Craig Olsen and Robbie Laughlin urged me to shoot John's house they explained his love of collecting art and decorating. They also said he goes all out for Halloween, so I better get over there before it turns into a Tim Burton film :) They were right — John's home has artwork, lighting and decor collected locally and from around the world. A professional model, with a background in fine art, John has led a full life of travel and has collected incredible memories along the way. Believing his home is an extension of this experience, "The most significant thing in my home is the great memories and laughs I've had here with family and friends."
Because John has been collecting for years, his home is somewhat eclectic in furniture and style. Among the traditional California elements there are the treasures he has brought back from Morocco and other foreign locales. He has wonderful stories and sentiments attached to everything, bringing such a richness to each room. He explained that "the most essential part in designing a home is that it is a reflection of your best self at the time."
Because it's a one bedroom home with generous square footage, the expansive floor plan allows for plenty of wonderful space for entertaining guests. John had told me about his love of entertaining and this is helped along by the awesome backyard and patio — he has designed what is essentially an outdoor second living room. "My home is a 1920s Spanish — therefore I made certain design choices to complement that architecture. Being a model has blessed me with the opportunities to live and travel all over the world, which has definitely influenced my eclectic aesthetic. California lifestyle is very casual so a comfortable home was important."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Casual Eclectic
Inspiration: I find inspiration anywhere and everywhere
Biggest Challenge: Designing on a dime with expensive taste
What Friends Say: "Your home is so comfortable" and "who dusts all this crap?"
Proudest DIY: My kitchen cabinets, down to the painting and distressing
Biggest Indulgence: My Fortuny lamp in my dining room which cost more than my first car!
Best Advice: Never try to do your own cabinets, down to the painting and distressing. Nightmare!
Dream Sources: Flea Markets
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Farrow & Ball
• Behr- Swiss Coffee
- • Sisal rug- Restoration Hardware
• Coffee table- inherited from Grandparents
• End table- Not So Far East
• Pillows- Trina Turk Residential, Patch NYC, West Elm, vintage Kilims
• Cubes- Vintage Kilims
• Moroccan end tables- Malabar Coast Living
• Deer head-Z gallerie
• Wood Sculptures -"my African crowd"_- Capetown flea market
• White wing chair- Out of the closet find! reupholstered
• Original vintage Suzani-Distant
• Occasional caned armchairs-plantation /Diamond upholstery
• Mirror-restoration hardware
• Wall- various flea markets,etsy.com,Africa,italy ,inheritance from Grandma Beba
• Vintage model ship-Paris flea market
• Drapes- Restoration Hardware
• Sea Man oil painting- Inherited from Grandpa Ray
- • Table- Mortise and Tenon
• Chairs- Z Gallerie
• Rug- Cost Plus
• Lamp- Civilization
• pillows-Dransfield and Ross New York
• Fortuny silk chandelier- Venice, Italy
• Red Feather African head dress- Cape Town flea market
- • Pillows- Anthropologie, Z Gallerie
• Cushions- Diamond fabric
• Plate collection- John Derian for Target
• Table and bamboo chandelier- Mexico
• Chairs- HD Buttercup
• Candles- Wisteria
- • Bed-Crate and Barrel
• linens-restoration hardware
• pillows-Trina Turk Residential
• nightstands-out of asia and Plantation
• Wooden Angel sculpture-Rose bowl Flea market
• Lamps-Target Home!
• Shades-Brown & Gold
• Pedestol-West Elm
• Curtains-restoration hardware
• Mirror ikea
- • Hand towels- West Elm
• Saint Francis- San Miguel Allende
- • Couch- HD Buttercup
• Coffee table - Maison Au Natural
• Pillows -Trina Turk Residential
• End table-inherited grandparents suitcase
Back Yard and Patio
- • Pillows-Trina Turk Residential
• Coffee table-old door -New York Flea Market
• Chaise_ Restoration Hardware
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.